WORKING WITH THE POEM
With your partner, complete the following sentences in your own words using the ideas in the poem.
1. Do not let a thought shrivel and die because ________________.
2. English is a _______________ with words that everyone can play.
3. One has to match _________________ .
4. Words are the _______________ of thought.
Аnswers: 1. you don’t know how to say it.
2. wonderful game.
3. the words to the brightest thoughts in one’s head.
4. food and dress.
In groups of four discuss the following lines and their meanings.
1. All that you do is match the words
To the brightest thoughts in your head
2. For many of the loveliest things
Have never yet been said
3. And everyone’s longing today to hear.
Some fresh and beautiful thing
4. But only words can free a thought.
From its prison behind your eyes
Аnswers: 1. You need to look for proper and accurate words to convey your thoughts beautifully.
2. It is wrong to think that all that was worth saying has already been said earlier. There are numerous lovely things waiting to be said.
3. If you have got some original and striking thing to say, you will find thousands of eager listeners.
4. Mind is a treasure house of wonderful ideas and plans. They are like captives in your head. Only proper words can liberate those thoughts from the prison.
Short Type Questions
What does the poet tell you about the world of words? Do you agree with him?
Аnswers: Words are wonderful means of communication with their use. We express our thoughts and feelings while speaking or writing English. You try to match the words to the thoughts in your head. Words are the food and dress of thought. They allow your thought to move out freely from the prison of mind. And there is no dearth of wonderful new ideas.
Why does Mary O’ Neill call English “a wonderful game’?
Аnswers: Mary calls English a wonderful game because it is so interesting to find right words to put your thoughts properly and correctly. Mind is a factory for your lovely thoughts. You can free them from the prison of your mind through words. You can also dress them decently to impress the listener. Just possible your new idea may take the world by surprise.